The Children Act 2004 sets out the statutory objectives and functions of a local safeguarding children's board. Section 13 of the Children Act 2004 "requires each local authority to establish a Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) for their area and specifies the organisations and individuals (other than the local authority) that should be represented on LSCBs".
Working Together to Safeguard Children 2018 further details the safeguarding arrangements, which replaces the previous Working Together 2015 document, along with a Statutory Framework of legislation which is relevant to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
Until the arrangements of the new 2018 document come into effect, there is transitional guidance, which outlines requirements for:
- Local authorities;
- Safeguarding partners;
- Child Death Review partners; and
- Child Safeguarding Practice Review Panel.
The Board is a key statutory mechanism for agreeing how the relevant organisations in Telford and Wrekin will co-operate to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children in the area. TWSCB will monitor the effectiveness of local services and legislative requirements, as safeguarding is everyone's responsibility.
The vision of the Telford & Wrekin Safeguarding Children Board (TWSCB) is:
put the voice of the child and young person first by listening, protecting,
being supportive and building lives for the future; and
and driving forward excellence in safeguarding to support all services and
improve the lives of children and young people.
Priorities for 2018–19
For a copy of the new strategic plan for the TWSCB and the Safeguarding Adult Board please click here.
The Board is chaired by Andrew Mason, an Independent Chair, and is comprised of the following partners:
|Telford & Wrekin Council
- Director: Children and Adults Services
- Assistant Director: Children's Safeguarding & Specialist Services
- Assistant Director: Education & Corporate Parenting
- Assistant Director: Health, Wellbeing & Public Protection (Public Health representative) (Chair of Joint Domestic Abuse sub-group)
- Local Authority Legal Representative (Chair of Safeguarding, Review & Learning sub-group)
- Lead Member for Children & Adults and Early Help & Support (observer)
- NHS Local Area Team representative
- Shropshire Community Health Trust (SCHT) representative
- Shrewsbury and Telford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (SATH) representative
- Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (MPFT) representative (Chair of Quality, Performance & Operations sub-group)
- Telford & Wrekin Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) representative (Chair of Strategy, Planning & Communications sub-group)
- Designated Doctor
- Designated Nurse (Chair of Child Death Overview Panel)
- Designated GP
- Local Policing Commander representative (Chair of Safer Telford and Wrekin Partnership) (Chair of Joint Exploitation sub-group)
- Private Early Years representative
- Primary School and Team Safeguarding Voice representative
- Secondary School representative
- Special School representative
- Academy School representative
- Further Education representative
- Lead Governor representative
- National Probation Service (NPS) representative (Chair of Partnership Development sub-group)
- West Mercia & Warwickshire Community Rehabilitation Company (WWMCRC) representative
- West Mercia Youth Justice Team (YJT) representative
|Children and Family Courts
- Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS) representative
- Wrekin Housing Trust (WHT) representative
- Chief Officer Group (COG) representative
The Board meets quarterly and the minutes are published on the website once agreed at the following meeting:
For minutes of meeting prior to 2016 please contact the Partnership Management Team via email at email@example.com
To view the latest information on the population of Telford and Wrekin, please click here.
To view information on the Telford & Wrekin Safeguarding Adults Board (TWSCB) please click here.