The Children Act 2004 sets out the statutory objectives and functions of a local safeguarding children's board. Section 13 of the Children Act 2004 "requires each local authority to establish a Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) for their area and specifies the organisations and individuals (other than the local authority) that should be represented on LSCBs". Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015 further details the representation on the Board.
The Board is a key statutory mechanism for agreeing how the relevant organisations in Telford and Wrekin will cooperate to safeguarding and promote the welfare of children in the area and for monitoring the effectiveness of local services and legislative requirements; put simply "safeguarding is everyone's responsibility".
The vision of the Telford & Wrekin Safeguarding Children Board (TWSCB) is:
put the voice of the child and young person first by listening, protecting,
being supportive and building lives for the future; and
and driving forward excellence in safeguarding to support all services and
improve the lives of children and young people.
Priorities for 2015–16
“To co-ordinate what is done by each person or body
represented on the Board for the purpose of safeguarding and promoting the
welfare of children in the area, and to ensure the effectiveness of what is
done by each such person or body for that purpose.” (Section 14 of the
Children Act 2004)
- To provide leadership to all agencies to achieve effective inter-agency working.
- To hold agencies to account for their responsibilities to safeguard children and young people.
- To co-ordinate a multi-agency approach to minimise harm to children and young people.
- To deliver an effective Training Strategy which responds to the needs of partner agencies.
- To maintain an effective Learning and Improvement Framework to enable partners to be clear about their responsibilities, to learn from experiences and to improve services as a result.
- To manage change positively in response to Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015.
- To ensure the involvement of children and young people in the work of the Board.
- To raise the profile of the TWSCB amongst frontline practitioners, children and young people and communities within Telford and Wrekin.
- To ensure publication of an annual report reflecting safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in the Borough.
The Board is chaired by Andrew Mason, an Independent Chair, and is comprised of the following partners:
- Telford and Wrekin Local Authority - Children's Safeguarding, Adult Social Care, Public Health, Legal Services and the Lead Member for Children and Families (as an observer)
- Telford and Wrekin Schools (including primary, secondary, special, academy schools and further education)
- Health (including the Clinical Commissioning Group, Shropshire Community NHS Trust, NHS England, Adult Mental Health, Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust )
- West Mercia Police
- West Mercia Youth Offending Service
Mercia National Probation Service
Shropshire & Telford Community Rehabilitation Company
- West Midlands Ambulance Service
- Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS)
- As well as partner agencies the TWSCB also has representation from Community Members, Housing Association, Voluntary Groups, Faith Groups, Early Years provider and the Lead Governor.
The Board meets bimonthly and the minutes are published on the website once agreed at the following meeting:
To view the latest information on the population of Telford and Wrekin plese click here.
To view information on the Safeguarding Adult Board please click here.